Slow Growin'

I was listening to Tim Keller speak the other day on how growth is a process. When we see a child after some time has elapsed we say, “My, I think you’ve grown.” When we plant a garden, for weeks it looks as if no growth is happening. That’s because growth is gradual; a process that happens in increments so small, they’re not even measurable in the moment the growth is taking place. This can make it easy to become discouraged and feel like nothing is changing in our spiritual development. The kind of frustration that comes from this realization is the very proof we need, though; to be sure we are actually growing.

I tend to be very impatient with myself in this process we call growth, but recently I’ve been comparing the unseen with the things that I can see and realizing how silly I’ve been. When I can create an analogy in my mind, taking myself and my need for personal perfection out of the picture, it is much easier to see the truth. I don’t think I am the only person who gets frustrated with the seeming lack of evidence of real change in my life. Many friends tell me that they feel the same way.

[I can think of several people who would probably shudder at my insinuation that any kind of "growth or change" is necessary. They would say that grace and the gospel tell us that Jesus has done it all and we must only receive. They've got a point, but so do I, so just keep reading. I'm not downplaying Jesus's imputation of righteousness on us, I'm just pointing out an encouraging picture about grace. We can argue about whether or not it's theologically sound another day.]

The thing is we Christians have a catchphrase that would solve this dilemma for us if only we would understand what we are saying. We say Jesus is our “Savior and Lord” and we understand the “savior” part.
He saved us.
Not to minimize in any way the agony of the cross; it’s just not the point I’m trying to make.
Jesus died; we’re saved. Punto.
The “Lord” part is where we get stuck. Accepting Jesus as Savior is as easy as repeating the sinner’s prayer. Keeping him in our lives as our Lord, however, is a daily discipline that is challenging to say the least.

 Todd Simonis preached on this at St. Andrew’s a while back and gave the following illustration:

If we were walking down the street and you stepped out in front of a bus,
hopefully I would be heroic enough to reach out and stop you.
In some respects, I could be considered your “savior”. I would certainly not
expect to come anything close to becoming your “lord”.

Jesus becoming our Savior took one decision (on our part) to accept one action (on His part), but that is only the beginning of Chapter 1. The whole rest of the book is about us making daily decisions to accept His ongoing action of setting us free, making us like Himself, and filling us up with His Spirit. It’s all about the process of learning day by day.

What I just wrote is common knowledge. I’ve known what Jesus did for me since I was three. Only recently, however, has that knowledge slid from my head to my heart and become understanding. I am now content to rest in the perfection and security that is mine since I accepted Jesus as my Savior. Recognizing that letting him be Lord is a long process of daily decisions and actions gives me not only more grace for myself, but for others as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love you Mandie and I love this post. My heart is so happy and full when i read your writing.... what a gift.