In Defense of Starbucks Church [Part 3]


So, I have come to church at Starbucks. The rationale behind this decision is really quite straightforward. I like coffee. I like strangers. I like drinking coffee and talking to strangers. I realized that I have often felt closer in my relationship with Jesus when I am sitting in a coffee shop sharing life with another person, than when I was sitting in a church pew hearing the same song and the same sermon. Now this need of mine to withdraw from traditional church for a time is not at all indicative of a lack of knowledge or honesty or genuineness in the church in general, for I know those qualities exist in abundance. Rather it is indicative of my inability to get over my own prejudices and petty complaints and find Jesus in spite of the small inconsistencies and rough spots I found in church. I realized that if I could not meet Jesus just about anywhere I looked for him, then my relationship with him was seriously lacking in intimacy and integrity.
Let’s say, for example, that I’m stuck on a plane next to Bob. I don’t know Bob and he doesn’t know me. We are both annoyed to be stuck on a plane. We have nothing to talk about and having each other as seatmates does not make the experience any more pleasant for either of us. Now imagine I am stuck on a plane with my friend Alma. We have shared many good and bad circumstances together. We know each other’s dirty messes and we have loved each other in spite of them. Even though I may not enjoy being stuck on a plane, I can still enjoy Alma’s presence there with me precisely because I know and love her, appreciate her friendship, and cherish every moment I get to spend with her. That is how I think it should be with Jesus. Only I wasn’t enjoying his presence when I was in church, the very place where I should feel closest to him. I decided to pull myself (and Jesus) out of church for a while to work on our relationship alone. It’s been 2 months, and I can say that this was the best decision I have ever made.
It has been here at “Starbucks Church” that I have walked deeper into my relationship with Jesus, simply by spending time alone with him, and often inviting a friend to join me. It makes perfect sense that we would get to know God better by getting to know his creation better. And if what he says is true, people are his favorite creation. This made me think that an excellent way to expand my understanding of God would be through sharing conversations with his people. That includes the ones who believe in him and the ones who don’t. I like to call these conversations “heart talks” because they’re all about two people taking their insides and putting them on the table for the other to look at. There is something so vulnerable about letting someone else see what only I know about myself, but the feeling of connection and of validation that comes when they see me for who a really am and accept me in spite of it is marvelously worth the risk. When someone shares their heart with me, I feel like I’ve been given one of the ultimate gifts, one of the highest honors.
My friend Cari says that these are the conversations that make you realize who you are, and who you are not, and what you are capable of, what you stand for and believe in and how much you love and care for the person you are talking with. I think she’s right, especially about finding out who you are and who you are not. In my “heart talks” with other people, I’ve found out three life changing things:
1. I am not alone
2. other people long for connection as much as I do and
3. God likes it when we find him in and through eachother.

I cannot even begin to express the feeling of relief that comes from finding out you are not the only one with problems.

1 comment:

Rod said...

"I realized that if I could not meet Jesus just about anywhere I looked for him, then my relationship with him was seriously lacking in intimacy and integrity."
(if this was a facebook status, i would click "i like this" and the little thumbs up icon would appear)